Friday, August 8, 2008

The Dark Knight Review

Finally got my sister to see The Dark Knight this week, now I just need to get my parents to see it. This is the second time I've seen it, and it makes me wish I still worked at a theatre so I could see it anytime I wanted.

First of all, Christian Bale is Batman. Now I did like Micheal, Val, and George well enough, but it's like choosing a favorite James Bond. Shawn Connery, George Lasenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, and Daniel Craig all did Bond a little differently, but they defined the character for their time. That's what Christian Bale does for Batman.

And Heath Ledger as the Joker? Wow! After this, there's just no way they'll be able to use the Joker in a movie anytime soon. Nobody could follow Heath's performance. I mean, I've seen the Joker portrayed before, but this is the first time I've found him truly chilling.

The film itself was amazing in how it explored the line between good and evil, how the line can be blurred, but also how there is always a distinction. Another thing that's explored is how what's right and what's fair are not always the same thing. We're used to thinking that what's right is always fair, but that's not the case; there's a distinction there too. In that same way, what people percieve as herioc isn't always the right thing. I can't say much more without spoilers, but trust me, this one will blow you away.

-Jack.

2 comments:

Janell said...

Good job on the review. OK, maybe we'll go see it. If not, then definitely when it comes out on video.

LaDawn said...

Keaton will always be my favourite batman partly because he was also good at the Bruce Wayne bit (which Val Kilmer just wasn't). Heather Ledger rocks as the joker. Loved the moral undertones of the film and you did a great job identifying and explaining them. Great review of a great film!