Saturday, August 2, 2008

Hellboy Review

Well, this week I went to see Hellboy II: The Golden Army. And I gotta say, I liked it. Visually, it stands pretty close with the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. As far as action goes, it was better than the first Hellboy. And contentwise, I don't remember what it was rated, but I would say it was appropriate for most people of about any age. (intense creature violence notwithstanding) Just to clarify what I mean by appropriate, there is some cursing, but very it is very mild. Though there is some confusion as to the way one character pronounces the word "focus." But I figure kids aren't likely to pick up on things like that, kind of like how Bugs Bunny would dress in drag to dupe Elmer Fudd, and that didn't seem weird to you until you got older. As for sexual inuendo, it is virtually nonexistant.

Now, in case you have no idea what I'm talking about, Hellboy is a character in a comic book. He's a demon (like from Hell, hence the name) but he was raised by human beings, so he wants to do good in the world. However, his stone right hand is the key that opens the gates of Hell, and he's also the son of the devil. So it would seem that he's destined to cause destruction and misery to all of mankind.

The first movie spends a lot of time exploring this idea, the whole nature versus nurture thing. Hellboy was born a demon, so it is in his nature to be one, but the people who raised him have done their best to nurture in him a sense of right and wrong and the desire to do right. Simply put, he's not human, but he wants to be a man. At the core of the character is a longing to fit into the world he lives in. He even files his horns flat to look more "normal." He also loves candy, cigars, beer, and cats.

Hellboy II spends less time exploring that part of the character, but it is still a fun time. One of the biggest critiques I've heard was in regards to the script. Specifically, that there wasn't much of a story to it. But, after actually watching the movie, I realized there didn't need to be much of a story. It's like the Mummy movies. (the ones with Brendon Fraser) They lay all their cards out on the table at the beginning; you know what is going to happen, or what is likely to happen, you know that even if the scary, world endangering event does occur, the good guys will win anyway, and you just have a fun time watching it all play out. It's not about where the movie is going, it's about how they get there.

Finally, let me say that I am not a professional movie reviewer by any stretch of the imagination, but I will always do my best to review a movie for the people who will actually go to see it.

Tell me what you think, or throw in your own two cents if you went and saw Hellboy II as well. Liked it, didn't like it, fell asleep, whatever. And if you go to see it on my recommendation, and didn't like it, well, umm... Sorry. I still liked it.

Until next time!
-Jack

4 comments:

Janell said...

Very well done, Jack. I hope you keep doing your reviews.

Sue said...

Welcome, Jack (or Ernest).

Doesn't sound like my kind of movie, but to each his own.

Tammie said...

Are you an X-Files fan? If you are, please review that movie if you've seen it. It's the only movie I intend on seeing any time soon!

Jack Carson said...

Hey Sue, and Mom, thanks for commenting.

Tammie, I haven't seen X-Files yet, but I'll review as soon as I have.